Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Brambles by Eliza Minot

Despite the abrupt and somewhat strange ending, I really enjoyed this book. It's a funny and at times poignant portrait of the adult Bramble siblings as they deal or not deal with each other and their father's illness. I thought Minot (who lives in Maplewood, NJ) nailed the stress of a former career woman turned overwhelmed suburban mom. I laughed out loud when she described Margaret constantly hearing "Mom, Mom, MOM!"

I'm bringing the following on the plane: TO THE LIGHTHOUSE by Virginia Woolf, THE NAMESAKE bu Jhumpa Lahiri and THE FARMING OF BONES by Edwidge Danticat. I have been swamped with scripts to read for work, so I haven't had much time to read for pleasure.

Speaking of books, I am waiting for feedback on mine from one writer friend and a freelance editor. I am nervous.

In the meantime, I have an idea for a travel article for solo women travelers and I should start reseaching it, so I can pitch it. Other than my blog, I haven't written anything in two weeks. I do like having my mornings back, but I feel kind of off.

No comments: