Wednesday, August 29, 2007

It's Michael Jackson's Birthday

I know I have posted in the past about the man I was supposed to marry (I felt this way about MJ until Thriller. Great album, was not feeling the nose job, wet curl or his obsession with Webster.)

I watch this video and I just feel sad. I can't imagine being a kid who is working all the time, not going to school and dealing with that kind of fame. When an interviewer asked Joe Jackson about Michael's claims of abuse and getting so sick before shows and he would throw up, his father said "He (Michael) regurgitated all the way to the bank." How caring.

His birthday is only a few days after mine, so growing up I always asked my parents what MJ was doing for his birthday. I have to say my parents really humored me and my Jackson 5 love. Buying me records, Right On! magazine whenever they were on the cover. I wasn't allowed to watch too much TV but they would let me watch Soul Train, American Bandstand and even Sonny and Cher (that was a show for grown-ups they said) if the Jackson 5 were on.

Here is one of the best pop songs ever! When I worked at Sony music one of my co-workers gave me the ABC CD. It was released in 1970 and still holds up.

"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

tracey k. in ohio: YOU were supposed to marry MJ? Hmmm... I was sure I was sposed to! (LOL!) UNTIL Thriller when things went..... south. My parents surprised me with a Jackson 5 concert for my 10th birthday. I remembed standing the entire time transfixed that MJ was actually before my very eyes. Then after I got older, I felt sorry for him. So wealthy, yet so lonesome & trapped, yet talented like no other. Happy B-Day MJ!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracey k - first you said Denzel was the father of your future children and now I'm hearing you planned to marry MJ? hmmm we have to talk. lol

Seriously, it breaks my heart to see what became of the young man from Gary, Indiana.

Delina said...

Great song.

It's a great shame the way MJ went.

You've inspired me to play some Jackson5 music now :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great flashback. It reminds me of my childhood!!! I need to find some Jackson 5 CDs.
Belated Happy Birthday to you!!
Aby

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

delina - I think I will play some tonight when I get home from work.

Aby - Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Jen said...

Oh my goodness... I remember WATCHING this on Ed Sullivan - staying up to do so. And a friend of mine got a "date" with MJ around that time (her dad was a record exec) They were all of 10 or 11 and sat there all night not knowing what to say. Obviously.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Jen - YouTube is fantastic. I never saw this clip before. Does your friend still remember her "date".

Jen said...

I'm not in touch with that friend any more. I know it was big news for all of us at that time. Even at that young age, though, I just felt sorry for him. And for my friend - I thought they were both pushed to do something they were too young for.