Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant and Adventures of an Italian Food Lover

I walked into work today and my bosses gave me a birthday gift from one of my favorite places in Los Angeles, The Cook's Library. It is a bookstore of cookbooks and books about food. Next door is a store for travellers. I try to avoid that part of Third Street.

The cover of ALONE IN THE KITCHEN WITH AN EGGPLANT: Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone, is beautiful. They were nervous about getting it for me and worried I would be offended for some reason. I am excited to read it. I do live alone and that is okay. I do know next year however, I am not going to bed at 8:45 p.m. on my birthday like I did this year. Hello, that is just pathetic.



Recently I was looking at ADVENTURES OF AN ITALIAN FOOD LOVER so I am very happy to get this book as well. It's a travelogue/cookbook.




Now I have something to read on the plane ride to Canada this weekend.

7 comments:

Roam2Rome said...

I can see why they were nervous about getting you that gift, and it speaks volumes about your strength and independence to shrug and say "what's the problem"? :)

The Canada trip is this week-end? Wow! Enjoy :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

roam to rome - I started reading some of the essays from the book last night and they are great...so funny and well written.

Anonymous said...

tracey k. in ohio here: the book is beautiful - i love the colors and it IS okay that it's "for one." (LOL!), The Canada trip should be a nice change of scenery & surroundings for you, which it sounds like you need. Hopefully you can continue to keep us updated on your 'adventures' from there. Happy belated birthday, by the way, the pix of S.Monica make me homesick. I remember riding that ferris wheel on the pier on my birthday one year. PS: stop going to bed at 8:45 on your birthday! (LOL!) Have a great day!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracey k- haha. Believe me, next birthday I will not be in bed by 8:45 p.m.

I will def. try to post while I'm in Canada.

Jen said...

That's supposed to be a WONDERFUL book. You know, if you felt like going to bed at 8:45, that's not pathetic. I'm nearing 50 now and my feeling on life is, "don't live up to any expectations other than your own."

Enjoy your trip to Canada.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jen - I actually did not want to go to bed at 8:45. I went to bed early so the lame day would just be over. That is not a good thing! LOL

I am enjoying the book.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I think that book looks fabulous! I'm guessing there's a lot that we all could learn from it whether we're currently in a relationship or not--we're still all people, aren't we?

Happy belated birthday, btw--not sure if I wished you one or not!

And happy Canada-ing!