Wednesday, September 05, 2007

No more wine...well until the end of the week.

I didn't bring my camera but Monday night I went to the Distillery District. It used to be a former beer factory but now it's full of interesting bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the place we went to probably because I split a bottle of wine and had seafood, which is not the most filling thing to eat. I do remember that I talked a lot. I should mention that my dinner was with THE producer of our film. There are several producers (at different levels) on the movie including me, but he is the big cheese.

I told him yesterday morning, I was going to take a break from the vino. Then I walked into the office yesterday afternoon and someone from the art department was opening a bottle of wine. What kind of place is this? haha. I didn't have any but I was reminded how producion is so different from development.

On a set you have teamsters, carpenters, painters, electricians, people from all different socio-economic backgrounds. Working in development back in Hollywood is a very, very, narrow view of the world.

I just met our lead hairdresser. She has lived in Canada for 25 years, her parents are from the Caribbean and she has locks to her waist. She has to do everyone's hair, regardless of race and she knows how. I haven't met our head of wardrobe yet but she is half-West indian, half-African with a big afro, our director's assitant who flew up from L.A., is Iranian, one of our actors lives in France, another lives in Australia. The vibe here is great.

10 comments:

Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

Hey! So glad you are enjoying the set. I know it is stressful but it's nice to hear that the people are cool. Good luck!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Sounds like things are going just wonderfully; it's so great to hear a skip in your voice (that can happen, right? Like a skip in your step?).

Drink it in bella :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

shelley - Of course who knows what will happen once we start shooting but so far so good. I really like our crew.

sognatrice - I'm not sure about the skip in your voice thing but I know what you mean. :)

gibber said...

UM, why does it sound like you'll be moving to toronto soon?

and try not to be such an alkie!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - LOL. I am not moving to Toronto.

Oh I know you are not calling someone an alkie. You think I forgot about you drinking KIr Royales, Heinekens, etc all over France when you were what...16? Don't get it twisted young one...I still remember that photo of you sitting on some guy's lap when you supposed to be studying.

gibber said...

Oooooo, you just took it THERE. Look, I simply had some youthful indiscretions. And besides, he was German and hot!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like your having a great time.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

gibber - no comment.

j. doe - the hours are long but my co-workers are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

lm very glad for you that everything has worked out. How enriching to work amongst such diversity.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

thanks Cleopantha.