Saturday, September 15, 2007

Comment from Glamour magazine, FH man.

Today I received the following comment to my blog post about a Glamour don't. Here it is:

Hello,

I read your post about a Glamour editor's comments on hairstyles for work, and I'd like to share with you our thoughts. First, we regret the comments were made. The employee, a junior staffer, not a beauty editor, spoke to a small group of lawyers at a private luncheon without her supervisor's knowledge or approval, and her comments ”that Afros are not work appropriate” does not represent Glamour's point of view.

Secondly, immediately upon learning of it, we sought to rectify the situation. The editor has been dealt with in a very serious manner, and the entire staff has been reminded of the magazine's policies and procedures for making public appearances.

Glamour is proud of its diverse readership and celebrates the beauty of ALL women. We have responded directly and openly with readers to assure them of this fact. We have also apologized to the law firm, and we extend the same apology to you.

If you know others who were offended by this incident, To ask you to please pass along this letter. So they, too, know how sorry we are.

Sincerely,
Cindi Leive
Editor-in-Chief, Glamour

The thing that is so powerful (and a little scary) about the internet is how quickly and widely information/words can travel.



Today FH man, true to his word gave me a magazine that he worked on about food/wine etc. in Canada. He was an editor on the Toronto section. During lunch I saw the director, producer and director of photography sitting at a table I went to the end and asked if anyone was sitting there. I didn't notice FH guy until he said "yes, you are." During lunch he told me about the market close to my place, which stalls had the best food, how to make a certain dish etc.

I wish my camera battery wasn't low today. We shot at an airport and had these huge rain machines on set. Very cool looking shots. Then it did start to rain later. LOL

Tomorrow we are shooting. Call time is a little better 8:00 a.m. instead of 6:00 a.m. Not sure if FH man will be there. We are using a smaller crew. Hopefully I will have time after we wrap to work out. I like walking along the boardwalk in The Beach area. I took this shot last week.

8 comments:

Giulia said...

What a pretty shot. Good enough to be a post card! :)
I don't even know what to say about the whole 'Glamour' thing, other than, GEESH! *eye roll*

Seville said...

Hey NYC/Caribbean Ragazza:

Glad to hear you're enjoying our city. Toronto is a cool place to explore. Have you been to "Little Italy" yet? I think the main intersection is Carlton at Bathurst.

I'm jealous you get to walk at The Beach. Great shot, though! I have a friend (a singer/songwriter) who lives down there, and he does a lot of his composing on runs down by the water. I really hate him on the days he tells me about the peace and beauty of it, because I'm stuck WAY out in the suburbs.

Interesting stuff about the "Glamour" issue. When I first moved to Canada 30 years ago, I lived in a city out west that was as White as White can get. The only person who could cut my curly hair was an Italian hairdresser I used to follow every time he changed jobs. I had my hair straightened once by a West Indian hairdresser there, and she burned my scalp by leaving on the thing longer than my texture required. That ended that shite! Been natural since, and I now have a Jamaican hairdresser that understands the madness that is curly hair. She cuts well (and for $15!) and never, ever talks about relaxing it.

My experience in Canada has been varied. Out west, the natural hair (afro, locks, twists) thing in a work setting would get comments and touching, but more because it was such an unusual thing in those days.

In Toronto - the most diverse city in the world - people don't even give it a second look, unless it looks nasty, and then it's about that, and not because of prejudice. Not to US-bash, but I find that Canada really tends to be more tolerant about stuff like that. I have a friend with locks down past her bottom, and she works in a fairly senior position in her organization, without any pressure to conform. My curls are sometimes quite untamed, but I've never been told to do anything about it by an employer in the 20 years I've lived here. Anyway, your attitude is the healthiest one - who doh like it, can do de nex' bes'!

Have a good weekend!

Jen said...

That's pretty cool that Glamour responded. And yes, it's weird what the internet will do. I didn't get to the beach area of Toronto - that was a cool shot.

Unknown said...

Someone said Afros are not appropriate for work? I never had complaints. Not even when I had braids. I was hired when I had braids.

That's just crazy.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Glamour responded, and that your'e having a good time .

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

giulia - grazie. it was such a gorgeous day when I took that photo.

seville - I have been to little Italy and Chinatown. Re: Toronto I agree with you that it is very chill. I can't believe how different the vibe here is. I haven't had a chance to really check out the night life yet because of my crazy hours but I will try to at least go to a nice dinner once and a while.

jen- thank you!

angelika - hello really, it's 2007, this shouldn't even be an issue.

j. doe - yes, I am despite working 14 hour days. :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Wow! Look at your getting a response from Glamour! Glad to see you're enjoying Toronto and FH man--I have some catching up to do :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

sognatrice -re: glamour, I was surprised when I saw the response on my blog.