Sunday, September 28, 2008

Paul Newman 1925-2008

One of the biggest stars in Hollywood, Newman was not just a wonderful, beautiful actor, he was also a great philanthropist. His brand, Newman's Own, (the lemonade rocked and was the best store brand) raised millions of dollars for charity.

Newman was from an era where the stars seemed larger than life. While he had great looks and charisma he was also very good actor. He wasn't some former reality show guy but a stage trained actor.

Here are some stills from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". It's amazing to me that Newman was only 30 when he filmed this. He was a grown-up, a man. Think about most of the current American male "stars". Even the ones pushing 40 seem like teenagers.

Good bye Mr. Newman, you will be truly missed.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul Newman was a class act. Pure gold. Please forgive me for saying this but men like him are a dying breed.

Anonymous said...

Even men liked Paul Newman. What wasn't there to like? Ms. Violetta says that men like him are a dying breed, true, but also actor's like him are a dying breed. Talent, intelligence, dignity, class, social responsibility, all rolled into one. His good looks weren't the best part about him, which is why he was so well loved.

Petulia said...

thanks for this little cameo. He was truly fantastic.

Jen said...

He was one of my all-time heroes. Also, the book he wrote with A.E. Hotchner about the founding of Newman's Own is one of my favorite reads. You might really enjoy it if you haven't read it.

BigCNYC said...

good point. most of today's stars are teenagers, no matter what age they are. nice memorial.

fail_safe said...

They just don't make 'em like they used to. Mr. Newman is a reminder of that. Rest in peace Mr. Newman, you surely will be missed.

Claudia said...

It's sad he's gone. He was a great one.

Diana Strinati Baur said...

It made me sad, really sad. They really don't make stars anymore in Hollywood, not like him -- it is more the flavor of the day, month, or year. Paul Newman had endurance, respect for his craft, and respect for himself. What makes me sad is that it seems to me that there are so few that can follow the footsteps of people like this. (sigh).

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ciao tutti...while he was 83, I still can't believe he's gone.

Lenoxave said...

I will miss him as well. I've watched his films since I was a kid. My aunt adored him. They don't make 'em like him anymore.

Liane Spicer said...

Great movie, great actor, great man. He was the whole package and no, they don't make them like that any more.

RIP, Mr. Newman.

Anonymous said...

Though Paul Newman is techincally before my time, he is in one of my all time favorite movies, The Sting. A movie I watched with my dad when I was young, over and over. It inspired so many movies there after, till today with shows like Hustle and movies like Ocean's 11. But it is not the same with that grin of his.