Sunday, February 05, 2012

World Nutella Day - Banana Nutella Turnovers


Today is a great day. Hopefully the Giants will send the Patriots packing, but I digress.

It's WORLD NUTELLA DAY!

Two lovely ladies, American expats Sara Rosso at Ms. Adventures in Italy and Michelle Fabio at Bleeding Espresso, host this wonderful international event.

I really need to make something different, but I love the banana/Nutella combo. Next year, I will do my best.

This year I was short on time. I always have puff pastry in the freezer. This recipe couldn't be easier or more delicious. Enjoy.


BANANA NUTELLA TURNOVERS


2 sheets puff pastry (if frozen, defrost in fridge overnight or on the counter for approximately 20
minutes)
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup - 1 cup Nutella (to taste)
1 egg
raw sugar for sprinkling or cinnamon sugar (the latter to be added after baking)

Preheat oven to 375/190.5
Rough mash the bananas with a fork
Mix in the Nutella

In a small bow, add one tablespoon of water to the egg, beat to create an egg wash

Roll out each pastry sheet. You might want to put some flour down to prevent sticking.

Cut into 4x4 (inches) squares

Fill in center (careful not to overfill)

Brush edges with egg wash

Fold in half creating a triangle

Press edges together and use the tines of a fork to seal

Put on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper

Brush top with the egg wash and prick the top with the fork to create tiny holes

Sprinkle with raw sugar (optional)

Place in fridge to keep cool while you prepare the other turnovers

Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown

Let cool, the filling will be VERY hot

Once cooled you could sprinkle confectioners/powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar on the turnovers.

9 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Mmmm are they still warm? I'll be right up ;) Buon World Nutella Day cara! xx

Rosa said...

Why, oh why did I read this??
I don't let Nutella into the house because I, well, over-indulge to put it mildly. But now you have me drooling...
My name is Rosa and I'm a Nutell-aholic.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Michelle - Anche te!! x

Scintilla - Admitting it is the first step to recovery. I wish you luck.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Quick and easy is fine with me - this is a great dessert.Happy Nutella Day and I hope your team wins.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

CCL - Thank you! It's a very close game. Fingers crossed for a Giant 2nd half.

Gil said...

Lucky to have World Nutella Day to pick my birthday/ I had my share!!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Happy Birthday Gil!

David said...

This food looks delicious!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Thanks David!