Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My landlord.

It has been raining off and on today. When it rains, it's a hardcore downpour then the sun comes out. Bella.

I have moved. My friend's apt. is fantastic. Too bad he is on the top floor and I have five pieces of luggage.

I met my landlandy. She couldn't be sweeter. She gave me the floor plan of the apartment and told me the names of my neighbors (it's a small condo buidlding). She also gave a bus ticket (ha) and a big map/bus guide for the city.

As I suspected, the precious tenant was bananas. My landlord said she was very happy I was going to be renting her place. I know all about her family now. One of her grandchildren was born in Philly. She has a daughter around my age. She used to work at RAI and for an 80 year old, she is quite hip. I really don't know many people her age who have email.

I see living here the last two weeks have rubbed off a little bit. A expat friend here asked me when I might be moving into my apartment. I said it could be Sunday, Tuesday, who knows?

I took the bus back to the Center and went to the Forno in Campo de' Fiori. Last year I went there one morning for the pizza bianca (pizza dough with just olive oil and salt....very good). I noticed there was huge line last week around lunch time. They have other pizzas during the day. This place might cause me to gain a good 50lbs. It is that freaking good.

12 comments:

Sherry said...

At least everything worked out with your landlord! It makes such a huge difference when you have a good relationship with your landlord, and I bet that is particularly true in your situation where the ins and outs of things are somewhat new to you and you will need someone who will be understanding.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy things are going well for you. Really well compared to the horror stories I've heard.
And if I visit Rome in the near future, you've got to show me that pizza place. I loooove pizza! Bad for the thighs but oh so good for the soul!!

Anonymous said...

tracey k/Ohio: it does sound like your time there is rubbing off on you -making you relax & realize things happen over there in their own time. It's so exciting listening to you find your way! Thanks for always sharing; have a great day & continue to ENJOY! :-D

Claudia said...

sigh....living vicariously through you...

Texas Espresso said...

YAY! I am so glad it is working out and you like your landlady. I can't wait to see pics of the new apt when you move in. hint hint.

Jen said...

That's wonderful that everything went well with your hip landlord! What is RAI?

And I got hungry just reading about Italian pizza... sigh...

Anonymous said...

Good to hear all is well on the living arrangements. Your landlady sounds like a sweetie. That description of the pizza made my mouth water.

glamah16 said...

Hip indeed! I noticed you mentioned her emailing. I thought it was someone doing it for her.Yeah, its coming together. Now Im craving pizza dough with oil and salt.

Elizabeth Abbot said...

Hi and welcome!
I am back from a few weeks in the US and "stopped by" to see what was up.
Need any help settling in, just holler. I'm up the hill in MonteVerde

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm sorry about the comment that I made about your new landlord earlier. I guess, I'm a skeptic. I am glad that she's a nice lady. She also added a little extra touch by giving you the bus pass and map. Now that's customer service. I give her an A+.

Ms. ATL

Anonymous said...

Sounds you have the beginnings of a really good novel or movie.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

sherry - yes I think it will be a less impersonal relationship than what I am used to but like you said given my move to a foreign country that could be a good thing.

linda - I think they put drugs in the pizza. I can't wait to get another piece today.

tracey k- grazie!

claudia - ha.

texas espresso - I don't know if I will be putting up pics of my closest sized apt. but I do plan to get back to posting photos soon.

jen - RAI is like the BBC or PBS here. Not sure if it is still 100% state/public owned or private.

ms. violetta - I have eaten pizza all over Rome. This place is def. in the top ten.

glamah16 - and she is emailing in English, which she claims she doesn't speak well. It's actually very good.

elizabeth - Hello and thank you!

ms. ATL - ha...yes that is good customer service.

lee - I have written a novel set in Rome. Hopefully someone will want to buy the rights to it. Fingers crossed.