I cannot believe it's already the fifth anniversary of this glorious event!!
Thanks to the wonderful Michelle at Bleeding Espresso and Sara at MsAdventures in Italy, all across the world people will be enjoying World Nutella Day. Sara and Michelle will post a round of up all the yummy goodness on Monday, February 7th.
This year I decided to make Nutella Banana Pancakes. Before I moved to Rome I always used pancake mix. Then when I realized I could make them from scratch and not have to pay four euros for a tiny box of mix at Castroni, I never looked back.
It's so easy, no more preservatives and they taste better. Not sure why the heck I didn't make pancakes from scratch earlier.
Here's the recipe adapted from THE BIG BOOK OF BREAKFAST COOKBOOK.
Basic Pancake Recipe
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 3 tablespoons melted butter
* 1 or 2 bananas smashed
* 1 or 2 tablespoons Nutella
1. Crack eggs into small bowl and whisk until foamy.
2. Whisk in milk and melted butter.
3. Place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and stir together.
4. Gradually add dry ingredients, whisking briefly after each addition, just until smooth. Do not overmix.
5. Stir in bananas, Nutella
6. Heat griddle. If using electric, aim for 375; if using stove, heat until water flicked on surface bounces but does not evaporate immediately.
7. Brush griddle with oil that has a high burning point; vegetable or canola will work well. (I use butter)
8. Using 1/4 cup measure for small pancakes, 1/3 cup measure for larger, scoop batter out of bowl.
9. From about 3” above griddle, pour batter in solid stream onto griddle.
10. If batter is a little thick, spread it out so that cake is roughly 1/4" tall
11. Watch cake closely; once edges are dry, and a few dry-edged bubbles have formed on top, check the cake’s underside. It should be roughly the color of honey.
12. Flip cake, cook until golden brown.
13. Serve immediately.
Don't overmix the batter
Use a nonstick skillet or griddle
Use a spatual with a nonstick coating.
Turn pancakes only once