Friday, September 17, 2010

Flashback Friday - Lucy Pearl - Dance Tonight - From the Love And Basketball Soundtrack

The first job I had in the film business was on the movie Love And Basketball.

I had moved out to L.A. a few months earlier with a few names and no job prospects. Looking back, I must have been on crack. I should have moved after saving up some money. Anyway, I had to start all over again. I was the oldest assistant on set and was told to lie about my age.

Nobody in Hollywood cared about what jobs I had before. The pay cut was outrageous and I would continue to make no money for the next eight years.

It's one thing to be a broke writer like I am now. It's another thing to be working 24/7 and get paid crap. However, it's Hollywood. There's a line of people who would (and can) work for free.

I LOVED working on this movie. Some of my friends really dislike being in production. Yes, the days are long and can be tedious as you watch take after take of the same scene but I enjoy seeing a movie come together.

It's sad this movie would never get greenlit today. We're going backwards.

Okay, trying to stay positive so will end with this clip from the movie's soundtrack.

Lucy Pearl was a collaboration between Dawn Robinson from En Vogue, Raphael Saadiq from Tony!Toni!Tone! and Ali from Tribe Called Quest.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty sure her name is dawn robinson, but i loved that movie, that soundtrack and lucy pearl as a group. I still have that CD. And I love your blog. Italy may be my vacay spot next year.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

anon - thanks for the compliments! You're right. I had Dawn Richards in my head and combined the two. I've fixed the error.

agrahamnola said...

I remember coming to visit you on that set! (I think that day y'all were shooting @ a school in Compton?)I can't believe it was so long ago. Miss you lady!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ashley!! - yes, I remember that day. We were shooting at Crenshaw High School. We had a bunch of extras and it was a very, very long day. Miss you too.