Sunday, November 22, 2009

Still broke, still single but like Stevie "Not Going Worry 'bout A Thing"

This morning I went to an gallery opening curated by my friend's father-in-law. My friend's Italian wife asked me what was going on...I was glowing. She is not the only person who has asked me this question lately.

What the heck?

Seriously why the good mood? My financial situation is still beyond jacked up. The latest news from the WGA (Writers Guild of America) is not encouraging.

Yes it still sucks to be a female writer in Hollywood. And writers of color? bwahaha less than 6% of ALL films/TV shows. The numbers for women and minorities are declining. Part of the reason is the emphasis on comic book/tent poles movies and movies based on toys. Studios hire male writers for those films. There are male writers are known for writing female characters but the reverse? Not really.

Melissa Silverstein of the fantastic blog, Women and Hollywood, writes about the latest study HERE.

The balance in my bank account is declining, the dollar keeps sinking and Sarah Palin refuses to go away. Yet earlier today I was working out on the Appia Antica and caught myself, on more than one occasion, smiling to myself. I feel like I'm on drugs or something.

Man oh Manischewitz, I fear this "glowing" thing might have something to do with my crush. I guess that's the upside. It's better than looking tore up because you're depressed.

I see PDAs around me all the time here and I have to say I'm a little jealous. Not that I would be tonguing down my man in the middle of the street, but you know what I mean.

Looking at what is happening or not happening in my life I should be at the very least sad, if not alarmed!

Instead, I had an amazing weekend.

Saturday after Capoeira class I caught up with E. her husband (aka The Professor) and their baby. E. used to work in Hollywood too, but we met in Rome.

My classmates joined us and we were sitting on a terrace overlooking the city. I don't know if it was a post-Capoeira high, the mojito or the views but I felt this sense of everything is going to be okay. Things are going to work out.

I thought I'm really fortunate to live in this city, to have such great friends in my life, to have a family that supports me (emotionally and financially) and that I left L.A. before I before I reached the point of no return.

Stevie Wonder's INNERVISIONS has been listed on many a top album of all time lists and I agree.

I heard this song earlier today.

17 comments:

Homebody at Heart said...

That's called self-confidence, girl, and you got it going on!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

I'm loving the way you think, especially with Thanksgiving upon us - so much to be grateful for - and living in ROME! I mean - wow that's a blessing in itself.

Diana Strinati Baur said...

you go ragazza. Everything IS going to be fine.

erin said...

I read the paragraph about having a low bank account, bad dollar and Palin ....but still smiling, about 3 times :) Such a good feeling.

Oh, and I love how you had a mojito out of season! ha.

glamah16 said...

I am so happy you have found a reason to glow.

Jen said...

There's nothing like living your dreams.

Innervisions was on my turntable constantly when I was about 14, and I even got to go to the tour in Madison Square Garden - it was the best concert EVER!

Enjoy - Roma, the mojitos, your crush, writing - just live it!

ieishah said...

what an uplifting post! all though i cannot imagine why you wouldn't be tonguing down your man in public. you're in rome! with a crush!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

homebody - It is? Grazie. Believe me it's something I still struggle with.

ccl - Good point Thanksgiving is this Thursday and I do have a lot to be grateful for.

diana - This year started out not so well, and things did improve. I'm feeling good about 2010!

erin - we asked the waiter about that. The mojitos were delicious but perhaps it was not a good idea for me to have one right after working out. ha

glamah16 - :)

jen - Grazie. I was playing INNERVISIONS on a loop yesterday. Great CD.

ieishah - we'll see how things go when I actually have a man. One should never say never but I doubt I will be getting down Italian style. heh

GGirl2 said...

I am so encouraged by this post. Us expats can sometimes have it really rough. You keep this up girl!! Things will be alright.

Kim B. said...

Even though I can't see you, I can see the glow from here!!

(although I get what you say about that Sarah Palin just won't GO AWAY!!!)

: )

keep glowing!

J.Doe said...

It's nice to hear that you are in a good mood enjoying life. With that kind of attitude I'm sure 2010 will be a great year for you too.

Liane Spicer said...

You have lots of company in the broke and single department. I'm pretty happy nonetheless. Part of it comes from not doing the stuff that makes me miserable, in a place I hate. The rest comes from embracing the good stuff in my life and following my dreams. [And where better to do that than where you are right now?]

Isn't a PDA a little electronic organizer? *scratches head*

Sarah Palin... Humbug.
Stevie Wonder... The best!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

ggirls - true, things can get tough. I try to remember the good days instead.

kimb - I thought her 15 minutes was up but sadly, I was wrong. Sigh.

j. doe - from your lips....I hope so!

liane - ha. PDA = Public Displays of Affections.
You're right. While our field is unstable and stressful, this is want I want and need to do.

milanese masala said...

Listen to Stevie. He knows. And so do you by the sound of things. Soak up every single positive vibe and enjoy the moment. And, ahem, who is this crush? A local ragazzo??

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

milanese - I'm trying to enjoy the moment instead of obsessing about the future. I'll email you about the crush.

Tracie P. said...

that is one of my favorite stevie songs! in my top ten list of happy songs, he definitely has the top 5.

glad you're so happy :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

tracie b - :)