Friday, November 13, 2009

Flashback Friday - Sonny Rollins - "My One And Only Love"

The Rome Jazz Festival started this week. I went to see Sonny Rollins at the Auditorium Parco della Musica. Sonny is a musical legend. To see him out still touring at 79 is incredible.

He has played with GIANTS, Monk, Coltrane, Blakey, Davis. It's bizarre to me that jazz, an unique American art form, is more appreciated abroad especially in Europe and Asia. Why is that?

At the end of this amazing show, the crowd went nuts with a prolonged standing ovation. It went on forever.

When it comes to jazz I definitely lean toward the saxophonists, like Rollins, Coltrane and Gordon. I love the sound of the tenor sax. Along with the cello and piano, it's of my favorite instruments.

I listen to music everyday. I don't know if I would be so passionate about it if I had not been exposed to so much music from my dad, his friends and the music programs in my schools.

I lucked out my NYC public elementary school had art and music. This was pre-budget cuts.

Then we moved to a NYC suburb where in fourth grade I started flute lessons, in school. In high school I was told there were too many flutes in the concert and marching bands. I was switched to alto sax and tenor sax. Mind you I (my parents) did not have to pay for two brand new, very expensive saxophones. They were provided by the school.

My tiny high school believed it was important to pay for football uniforms AND band instruments.

I wasn't talented enough to be in our jazz band. They were outrageous talented and to this day still remember Joe Montini's sax solos.

I really miss playing music.

If Sonny Rollins is touring near you, run and buy a ticket. He can barely walk across the stage but once he starts playing, you forget he's almost 80.

Have a great weekend.

8 comments:

Kim B. said...

A beautiful tribute to a talented man and a lovely remembrance of the importance of playing your own music.

Liz Dwyer said...

I love jazz - my dad plays jazz - but I don't know how to even play an instrument. As far as my own kids, music and art in schools...will those days ever come back for the average public school?

Anonymous said...

did you have a nice weekend devoted to chaotic and exhausting traffic, squalid nightlife, pollution, graffiti, and filthy streets? :-)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kimb - I'm so glad I had a chance to see him play.

los angelista - I don't know what's going to happen for the average American public school. It's not fair that only private schools and schools in wealthy area will be able to provide art/music in their schools. This is not a good thing for our culture.

anon - I write a post about an amazing jazz concert and this is your response? Like I said before, if you hate Rome so much either leave or work to make things better.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to see Sonny play in Tarrytown, NY on Dec. 6th. The last time I saw him was in central park. He is my favorite sax player. Great timbre, ideas, rhythm, melodies and compositons.

Harry Owens is being incucted to the VHS hall of fame next week.
I'll be there to honor him.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

anon - enjoy the concert!

Is VHS, Verona High? I haven't been back since my sister's graduation.

Anonymous said...

Verona High yes!
Your career is going so well that you might be inducted into the VHS Hall of Fame as well.
Good Luck,
Joe Montini

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Joe! How funny. Please tell your sister I said hi.