Thursday, December 13, 2007

Caribbean Week: The I Love My Ram contest

Many islands celebrate Carnival. Trinidad is known for having one of the largest and liveliest in the Caribbean.

There are always interesting local festivals and fairs going on. I never heard of the I LOVE MY RAM contest until my sister saw something about it on Anthony Bourdain's show. Anthony has been going to the island for over 20 years. Jess was so kind to let me post some photos from her blog. She is an American who has been living in St. Maarten for years.

The contest is held in a valley very close to where my family grew up. Many people used to raise animals in St. Martin. This contest is reminder of the island's agricultural roots.

St. Maarten (esp. the Dutch side) is one of the most visited islands in the Caribbean. Some say she has lost her soul. It's nice to see that there are still some village traditions that continue despite all the development. People bring their rams and enter them in a competition. There are different age ranges and the rams must have a pleasant disposition. (ha) Of course there is music and plenty of food.

My brother and his family were visiting our parents during the festival. My sister and I asked him to buy us an I HEART MY RAM t-shirt. He thought we were joking. I am still salty he did not get us any shirts. The winners of the contest won medals, cases of Presidente beer and bags of goats feed. I assume the beer is for the owners of the winning rams.

Thanks Jess for the photos!

The valley. So green and full of mango and coconut trees.


Looking fly.


Ready for their close-up.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

lm enjoying this series, there are some gorgeous pictures of the beaches oh of course and the Rams you heart :)

gibber said...

Dad actually got me a shirt from the contest, but this year they had the memorial to sarah wescott's late husband on them, so I'd feel weird rockin that shirt. guess i'll wait until next year!

jess took some great pictures that day.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

confessions - glad you are enjoying it. :)

gibber - next year I want a shirt dammik.

Liane Spicer said...

There's an annual goat race in Tobago, too, on the Tuesday after Easter. I've never seen it, but I've heard it's great fun.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

wordtyrst - A goat race must be intersting to watch. They are not the easiest animals to herd.