Monday, December 10, 2007

A brunch with some amazing women, the Christmas spirit and Caribbean Week.

Yesterday my friend Sfashionista (she used to comment quite a bit on the blog but she has a newborn and a growing design business) held a brunch for me. Why? We share a birthday but that was months ago back in August. I was in Toronto for two months producing a movie and when I returned said she wanted to throw a brunch. I was so touched. I am in such a weird place right now, post-Toronto/Italy funk, worried about my future, stressed about finding an agent, my stupid car has some kind of electrical problem and I'm a little homesick.

For a few hours I didn't have to think about any of that stuff. I had great time. Sfashionista sent out written invites. She asked, "What would Jackie do?" I agree. Even if Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis were alive today, she would not send out an Evite (unless she lived in a place notorious for poor mail delivery) for a small gathering. I can't tell you the last time I received a paper invite.

The host's baby was too cute and another guest brought her baby girl. Sfashionista's husband broke out quickly, after helping us solve a stero/iPod situation. One of the women is leaving L.A. to move back to Atlanta. She is the second friend this week who told me they are leaving. Now that the talks between the writers and the studios have broken off again, the number of people leaving is only going to grow. Another friend told me she might move to Berlin.

Despite all the bad news on the work front (several women at the party are screenwriters) we all had fun catching up. Ms. Tramble summed the day on her blog here. I am verklempt.

Until yesterday I wasn't feel much of the Christmas spirit. Since I will not be in the Caribbean this Christmas, I am going to bring some of the Caribbean to my blog starting tomorrow.

Sfashionista knows how to set a table.


Who knew Fred Segal (the one in Santa Monica) had a florist? These flowers are stunning!! If I were rich or had a garden, I would have fresh flowers in my apartment at all times. I have some gorgeous roses on my dining table. One of my friends surprised me yesterday. Lucky me.


View from the patio. It rained the other day. This is the clearest I have seen L.A. in a while.

7 comments:

Jen said...

It sounds like a lovely time. I'm glad you had a pick-me-up.

Giulia said...

Sometimes, a friendly get together with some good pals is the best pick me up! Homesickness sucks... I am having a bout of it myself. It's the holidays, I tell ya! Can't wait to see what type of Caribbean style you bring to the blog. :)

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

That's awesome, and the setting looks absolutely gorgeous and perfect for a belated birthday bunch and lots of girl talk.

Man I miss my girlfriends.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great view and great decorating of the table.
Good to hear that you had a nice time. Birthday bashes and brunches with friends are always fun, even not exactly on your birthday.

Anonymous said...

tracey k/ohio: the flowers are BEAUTIFUL! What a thoughtful thing for your friend to do; the table setting is lovely. Bringing the Caribbean to your home is a good idea to cure the homesick blues; the picture taken off your balcony made me homesick for L.A. with the mountains in th distance. Nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there... again (LOL!

gibber said...

Looks beautiful! It's nice to have great friends. That view was pretty.

I almost called mom this morning from my cell phone because I'm missing them so much :(

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

jen - thank you. It was fun.

giulia - I agree it is the holidays. Being so far from home is tough.

sognatrice - girl talk is so important!!

j. doe - my friend said she is now going to host more parties. We shouldn't need a special event to see friends and have fun.

tracey k - I wish that was my balcony!! It the view from my friend's house in the Hills. :)

gibber - I know what you mean. This Christmas will be weird.