Friday, November 23, 2007

Parts of Venice are flooded this morning

I looked outside the hotel door and the tide is crazy high! The hotel is along a canal and the water is overflowing. Not sure how the heck I'm going to get to the train station. I am off to Milan for Thanksgiving dinner.

I read over 130 milllion Americans are going shopping today. Glad I will miss that madness. I have seen maybe two Christmas shopping commericals here. I was talking to one of the hotel's concierges and she said no stores here are opening at 4:00 a.m. for shoppers. You're lucky if they are open by 10:00 a.m. When I told her people many sleep outside the stores the night before to be there when the stores open, she could not wrap her head around it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I don't know if the stores by me had people waiing at 4AM for the doors to open since it snowed by us and they don't use a snowplow here. also i was sound asleep. I usually avoid all stores and their craziness this whole weekend, but sometimes I do go food shopping.
P.S. Are you back in Venice now? Did you buy those boots?

Anonymous said...

How was your meal in Milan? Did you take any pics of l'aqua alta? You are smart to have travelled over Thanksgiving. It's a good idea to be somewhere that you can really appreciate! Thank YOU for your blog and the little smile it gives me everyday. :-)

Jen said...

I can't wrap my head around it, either. I'm staying home with family and good books and leftovers today. I hope you enjoy your Milanese dinner. Is this with friends?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

j. doe - Thank you I did. No I didn't buy the boots.

rose in cali - . thank you and you are welcome. :) yes I took photos of l'acqua alta and will try to post them tomorrow or tuesday.

jen - yes it was. I am so glad I did something this year instead of eating take out from Gelson's (which is very good but not the same as a home cooked meal)