Thursday, April 15, 2010

Variety annoucement about my script. We now have a director but...

there was drama. Variety (one of the two Hollywood trades) ran an article yesterday. The print version was not correct but Variety made the changes to the online version which is posted below. You can only read the link if you're registered/a subscriber.

Given this was my first sale, my team is a little salty with how the print version went down. It had the wrong information about the screenwriters. I'm beyond livid. Getting emails from colleagues in Hollywood asking me what happened makes it worse.

I used to work in PR and nobody really reads corrections. I know I'll get over it and there will be future announcements as the cast is hired (fingers crossed that things continue to move forward) but the last 24 hours were not fun. I woke up angry. God, I feel like I'm back in L.A. ha

Salim Akil to direct 'Jumping the Broom'
TV helmer making leap to bigscreen with laffer
By TATIANA SIEGEL
TV helmer Salim Akil is making the leap to the bigscreen and will direct Sony's wedding-themed comedy "Jumping the Broom."

Story depicts the collision of worlds when two African-American families from divergent socioeconomic backgrounds get together one weekend in Martha's Vineyard for a wedding. Arlene Gibbs and Elizabeth Hunter penned the screenplay.

Envisioned as a low-budget project, "Jumping the Broom" is currently in development at the studio and is moving toward a tentative June start date in Nova Scotia.

If project comes together, it would likely go out through the Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions Group label.

Bishop T.D. Jakes, Tracey Edmonds, Glendon Palmer and Curtis Wallace are producing.

"Jumping the Broom" marks Akil's feature directorial debut. His TV helming credits include "Girlfriends" and "The Game," which BET is aiming to resurrect with Akil as the showrunner.

Read the full article at:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017725.html

26 comments:

Kim B. said...

Ugh! That sucks!! So sorry for the announcement of your first project to be marred like that!!

But the important thing is that it IS your project and there will be many many opportunities going forward for your name to be properly placed and noted!!

Soooo exciting and you know I can't wait to see this movie (I know it will be a while). Can't wait to see your ideas on the silver screen!!!!

So CONGRATS even if your debut did not go off correctly. Woohoo!

Diana Strinati Baur said...

I am with Kim. I'm sorry the announcement didn't go down the way it should have but I am really excited that it's happening nonetheless. Awesome, Ragazza. You're gonna make it big. Big, I tell you!

Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

sorry, dumb question - what's the error? Is the version you included the correct one?

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for the mix up but sooo excited for you!!! Congrats and again thank you for sharing the journey - I can not wait to be updated on the development!! Breathe because it's only just begun - and that's a great thing!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kim b - you're right. I'm trying to think of the big picture. Perhaps in the future I should not blog while angry.

diana - grazie.

sara - yes. I changed the post to make it clear this version is the right one.

simone - thank you.

Kim B. said...

Hey Ragazza-- Yuu have every right to be angry and to B.W.A. (Blog While Angry). It's only human to be frustrated at not being accorded the proper respect during the first big mention of your project. And we all know you ARE a positive person, so we know you are psyched about the project overall --- but we commiserate in your pique!

Will be interesting to hear if anyone tries to explain themselves on leaking the info incorrectly!!

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

What, do they have Italians in charge of those things or something? I'M KIDDING! Sort of ;)

AUGURONIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!

Jessica said...

Congrats Arlene, this is such exciting news and I know you've been working hard for it. It definitely sucks about the print announcement, but incredible nonetheless!

Petulia said...

Bravissima! Congratualtions!!! So glad it finally came through. brava brava!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

kim b - thanks. I do try to be positive but sometimes I just lose it. ha

michelle - ha. Nope, we can't blame this "brutta figura" on the Italians. Grazie.

Valerie from City|Life|Eats said...

Hi Arlene, I am SO sorry with how things went down, but I cannot tell you how happy I am that the project is moving forward. I have been reading your blog since before you moved to Italy (lurked for a long time before commenting) so I am excited that the project is moving AND that you no longer have to live in LA amidst all that stuff!!

By the way, I used to comment as City Girl, but decided to de-anonymize myself and rename my blog recently. It's still me though :)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

thanks Jessica!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Grazie Petulia!!

Valerie (nee City Girl)- thank you!!

Anonymous said...

YOu go girl! I am soo proud!! yay!!

J.Doe said...

Congrats to you. Concentrate on that, that you did it, and not that the printed copy was incorrect (and it WAS corrected on line)

glamah16 said...

All that aside, this is huge! Im so happy for you. Things are looking up. There will plenty of time for your name to put right.

Sherry said...

I'm so sorry they screwed it up, tarnishing your shine, but you SHINE nonetheless!! Great work! Congrats! Can't wait to see the finished product in theaters.

Lauren said...

Your project sounds super cool! Thanks for telling us about it! Auguri!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Grazie tutti for the well wishes.

I'm in a much better mood today!

Viajera said...

Sorry about the mix-up, but congrats!! And filming in Nova Scotia! Niice. Our film industry needs the money. ;)

Claudia said...

I don't know what the error was but I'm very excited for you that things are moving forward. It sounds like an interesting movie and when it comes out, I am going to go see it!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they might want to hire a proofreader? It will be good material for your Ellen and Oprah interviews. ;) Aside from all that madness, I am super happy for you! The film sounds great and I for one can't wait to see it. I loved Girlfriends and am excited to see your words with director on the big screen.

Julie @ jbulie's blog said...

Big time Hollywood style ╰☆╮c o n g r a t s!╰☆╮

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

thank you ladies!!!

girasoli said...

A belated congratulations!! This is soooo cool!! I very excited for you. Sorry they screwed up though with the announcement.

Linda @ Ice Tea For Me said...

NYC - congratulations! All your hard work is now paying off.

Corny but a line from the song from The Mary Tyler Moore Show comes to mind... "You're going to make it after all" which NYC your readers knew you would.

Enjoy and have fun!!