Friday, April 02, 2010

Flashback Friday - Easter Edition - Morning Has Broken - Cat Stevens

Along with "Every Morning Is Easter Morning" we used to sing this song at Verona United Methodist Church.

When my family lived in New York City we used to go a local church up the street most of the time but maybe once a month we went to a big church in Harlem. Beulah Wesleyan Methodist church on W 136 Street seemed massive to me. Many of my relatives went there. There was a large Caribbean congregation and the church was in the historic Hamilton Heights area.

As a child I actually liked going to church. I got to spend time with my friends, wear pretty dresses, cute shoes and listen to great music followed by a nice lunch. It was was fun.

My teen years? Not so much.

Anyway, once we moved to the 'burbs the music was different. While my parents are not fans of "clap hands churches", hello, they're Methodist not Baptist, I do remember the choirs in New York singing gospel along with classical music. Our choir in Verona did not do gospel. ha

Easter was a big deal in my house. Relatives would come over a dinner. There were sunrise services and an Easter Egg hunt for the kids. I would get a basket with candy and when I was younger, an Easter outfit. It seemed like Easter really kicked off the Spring season.

As you can imagine, Easter week is a big deal in Italy. There are so many tourists in town.

I love the Italy holiday of "Pasquetta" aka Little Easter. This is celebrated the day after Easter. Everyone takes off for the country, hills, park or beach to enjoy a fantastic lunch outdoors with family and friends. It's a way to celebrate the end of the solemn season of Lent and nature. Some people plan their Pasquetta weeks in advance. They are not playing when it comes to food. Last year I went to a lunch that lasted a good four hours.

I have to work this weekend but I might treat myself to a little chocolate.

This SONG from a live taping on ABC, is just beautiful and moving.

It reminds me of Sundays with my family...food, church, New York Giants.

Buona Pasqua tutti!

3 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Buona Pasqua. It's so nice to have those childhood memories to think about. Wish I were celebrating in Italy too.

erin said...

I love hearing about family traditions...hope you have a great weekend. BUONA PASQUA :) and, yes you should definitely treat yourself to some chocolate.

Unknown said...

Happy Easter! Have my bonnet decorated and my eyes peeled for those colored eggs hidden in the back yard :)!