Friday, November 25, 2011

Flashback Friday - Nat King Cole - Hark, The Herald Angels Sing

The day after Thanksgiving means one thing to me and one thing only. I can start playing Christmas music!

I miss albums. There's something special about taking out the vinyl, checking for scratches/dust, and then putting the needle on the record.

I strongly believe jazz and classical music sound better on vinyl... warmer, richer.

My parents had one of those stereos that was inside a piece of furniture. It was a huge deal to me when I was old enough and trusted to put the records on the turntable. For some reason, I can't remember why, my mom never touched the thing. My dad was the DJ of the house.

Along with the Francoise Hardy, and The Mighty Sparrow records, we had a several Christmas albums. The album we played the most was the classic by Nat King Cole. I have this CD as does my brother and sister.

I love this man's voice. Now it feels like the Christmas season has now officially started. Thank you Mr. Cole.

Buon weekend tutti.


11 comments:

somepinkflowers said...

so funny
& True!

i started
my
~~holiday music playing~~
as
soon as i woke up
this morning.


{{NKC is a perfect choice,
BTW...
gonna go see
what i can find now }}

Homebody at Heart said...

I love the Christmas Song by NKC or the Carpenters. Funny, I never new what the song title was but every time I heard it, I would just stop and be mesmerized. My dad still has his console radio/record player! I have suggested to him several times to dispose of it but he doesn't even consider it. I can only figure it cost him a pretty penny back in the day.

Tina said...

I think it's great that we see the day after Thanksgiving the same way, AND that you picked Nat King Cole. :-)

Unknown said...

Girl, don't get me started on Nat King Cole and Christmas. Like you, the Christmas music starts the day after Thanksgiving and I LOVE this album. I grew up with it and I probably associate it more with Christmas than even Santa. Nobody's version of The Christmas Song comes even close.

gibber said...

I love the beginning of this song. "Ahhhhhhhhhh"

I started playing my songs yesterday as I was making a big pot of turkey stock with the carcass of my bird.

I'm so excited for the holidays!! WOOT.

Paola said...

Buon weekend a tutti should be.

That said (and I truly hope you won't mind my correcting you) boy do I love me some good old fashioned NTC, singing Christmas songs no less.

Sadly I am not into the right mood yet but I hope I can get rid of the bad things soon so I can concentrate on this very special Holiday.

dorinalouise said...

yes, we feel the same way. we love playing christmas songs, and i do miss the vinyl. nat king cole singing "hark, the herald angels sing" is one of our favorites.

KarenH said...

Yes... in my house, too. Such great memories. Nat King Cole was my dad's favorite singer, hands down. I can still remember the feeling of the opening and NKC's soothing voice... 'Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...' So fabulous. My dad passed 17 years ago but when I hear Nat... I know for sure he's near. Love it!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Paola, thanks for the correction. I've been saying it wrong for a while!! I wish people would correct me. I won't be offended. It's the only way I'm going to learn.

I'm happy to see all the fellow Nat King Cole fans!

kim @ parisianparty said...

Awww...this is my dads favorite Christmas album and it always makes me think of him. It's the first music we put on when we start decorating the house for Christmas- the official holiday kick-off in our house (followed by Alvin and the Chipmunks for the kids. Which totally breaks the vibe, but there you have it...)

Teanna said...

You know, it's funny, I grew up in the 80s and Nat King Cole's "A Christmas Album" was my family's go-to Christmas album. I still remember the sound of the crackling of the needle hitting the record at those opening chords of A Christmas song, and still, to this day, at 30 years old, I make sure that I don't miss those opening chords because it reminds me so much of my childhood.