Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My novel and Stephen King's great advice about writing.



Very funny. Apparently, TWILIGHT fans are very upset with Mr. King.

I've been working on my novel, aiming for 2000 words a day. I get up at 5:00 or 5:30 a.m. eat something light while I check e-mails from L.A., work out, shower, start writing.

Earlier I used to meet friends to work out in the morning. Until I'm done with my first draft I can't do that anymore. I need that quiet time in the park to work and think about the novel.

I wrote a very rough outline. I wasn't sure how to do one for a novel. I realized early on my outline wasn't long/detailed enough. I haven't looked at it since I hit the 30,000 word mark.

What I've been looking at are my characters. I spent a lot of time working on them before I wrote the outline.

It's interesting to work on a new novel after focusing on scripts the last four years. Screenwriting is very structured. Working on a novel is a completely different experience. I thought I knew what the ending would be when I wrote the outline. It's changed.

I also thought I knew what certain characters would do. I don't. It's fun to see what direction the story will take. However, to be honest, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. I didn't go to grad school for a MFA. I did take creative writing courses in college, but that was a while ago.

I've been re-reading Stephen King's book on writing. I highly recommend it to anyone who is interesting in writing. It's part memoir, part advice. All of it is inspiring.

It was rough going after I returned from L.A. for a variety of reasons. His book is helping me get back to basics. It's about reading and writing. Yes, it's true Snooki is a NYT bestseller "author" despite telling a reporter she has read only two books in her life. Her ghostwriter has probably read more than two.

There a lot of things I cannot control in my career. What I can control is how much I write and how much I read.

Every project I work on is an opportunity to improve and grow as a writer. That must be my focus, not getting upset that nothing has changed since I co-wrote a hit movie. In fact, at a later date I should write about some of the jacked up BS I heard while in L.A.

I can't think about anything negative right now. I have to finish my book. Money and career worries are on the back burner. Maybe that's putting my head in the sand, but the amount of energy I use stressing about those worries is not healthy.

I am feeling very optimistic these days. It might be straight up denial. heh. That said, I'm excited about a new idea I have for another novel.

It helps that the weather has been gorgeous lately. We're enjoying a real spring in Rome this year. This is something I do not take for granted! I hope the blazing hot weather takes a while to get here.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, there! I've been MIA for quite a while and am just getting back to checking out your blog. WOW! A lot of good things have been going on in your world. Big congrats on the movie. I actually just saw it about a week ago. I will definitely add it to my DVD collection once it comes out. The movie had substance, was intelligent and had several great messages that we can all learn from when it comes to love and relationships. Keep up the good work! Sorry that I am so late the party. Much success with your next project!

Ms. ATL

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Thank you and welcome back Ms. ATL!!

Glad to hear you enjoyed JTB and plan to add it to you DVD collection. That is music to my ears.

msinfo247 said...

Hi, I just came across your blog by way of myamerican meltingpot blog and read through a few posts. While I have not seen the film yet for reasons that are about 2 feet tall and beyond my control, I have heard very great things about it. From one writer to another...keep doing what you're doing, the best is yet to come.

Paola said...

5AM.
That's dedication.
Werk it gurl!

Kim B. said...

Love that you are in your writing groove. Once again I admire your discipline and determination. I always find it so wild when fiction writers talk about the ending changing or characters leading them somewhere they hadn't thought of. That's a super cool world into which I have no insight.

In bocca al lupo!!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

msinfo247 - thanks for stopping by and the encouraging words. LT's blog is one of my favorite reads.

paola - I'm trying!

kim b - grazie. It's an interesting process when characters start "talking to you." I have to remember to travel with pen and paper at all times. I forgot something that popped into my head this morning during my work out. I'm so annoyed!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

You are an inspiration. I'm going to take a cue from you and start writing for a certain amount of time every day at the same time. The blog is fun but it does take you away from serious writing.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

CCL - grazie, as are you. During the next two weeks, I'll have more time to read your blog. I've missed a few posts.

Unknown said...

Ok. I totally needed to read this post. I just ordered your Stephen King recommendation and started using 750words.com a few days ago. This just confirms I have to sit down and grit it out. I'm learning how to make my writhing a priority, no matter how unorganized or jumbled my thoughts may be I have to be dedicated to sitting down and getting them out. Thanks so much for your posts, and until I get the chance to see it for myself your tales of life in Rome are my visuals.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

unknown - you're welcome. I hope you enjoy King's book and find it helpful. It was published I think in 2000. Good luck with your writing!