Friday, February 11, 2011

Flashback Friday - Chet Baker - "My Funny Valentine"

It's Valentine's Day Weekend. As usual, I don't have a Valentine.

In Italy it's kind of celebrated but not to the steriods level it is in the States. As a single person this is fine with me!

I picked up some amazing porcini mushrooms at the market and will make myself a very romantic dish of risotto. Along with a nice bottle of Sicilian wine, I'm good to go.

Back in L.A. the build up to Valentine's Day sent me into a funk. You couldn't even go out to dinner as every restaurant had a special V-Day menu. I felt bad for men who were under a lot of pressure to spend x-amount of money on flowers (the prices are always hiked up) and other gifts.

I ADORE flowers but I think there's something weird about the mass marketing/commercializing of romance and love.

When it comes to matter of the heart, I say keep it simple. Actions and words speak louder than a dollar sign.

This short instrumental version of "My Funny Valentine" floors me. The emotion, the longing, expressed without a word. Beautiful.

Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

erin said...

oh i LOVE this song too....plus it reminds me of the Talented Mr. Ripley :)

J.Doe said...

For me the real Valentines day was February 15th, when all those chocolate valentines day hearts the stores shoved down everyone's throats went on sale. Flowers I never really cared about because you can't eat them. Now that I'm fat I don't celebrate it as much, but have a happy 15th of february! Have some chocolate. (and it's better to be single cuz then you don't have to share)

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

erin - The Talented Mr. Ripley had a GREAT soundtrack and score.

j.doe - I happened to buy some handmade chocolate at SAID the other week. Enjoying it now.

Tracie P. said...

my valentine is still in italy :(

Saretta said...

I so agree with you. You can't have to be romantic on demand, on a certain day...just doesn't mean anything that way, does it?

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Tracie p - :(

saretta - I would be more excited to receive flowers on a day that wasn't Valentine's Day.